PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAE easyJet MPL 2020
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2020, 01:03
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
planesandthings

Whilst CAE are upto their own thing (Silver Lining MPL or whatever BS they've decided to call it), you are perhaps mistaken. The L3 guys that got "their final shafting" as described in another thread and on social media actually has nothing to do with easyJet or CAE. easyJet haven't taken cadets from L3 for at least a year and the MPL program there wound up before that. The Generation easyJet program only had links with CAE as far as I know.

As bad as L3s shafting is, that is sadly the nature of the MPL, although anyone in that situation should shop around and get that training elsewhere at a far cheaper cost. I can't be bothered to go through EASA-FCL but I imagine they'd need to do quite a bit of real flying to turn their incomplete(or complete) MPL into an EASA fATPL (CPL if you want to split hairs). They'd need to learn to fly a real multi-engine piston aircraft and then do a CPL on it (must be 15hrs or more I'd imagine in a DA42/Seneca etc) and then do the IR on it which is probably the tricky part as IFR in a multi-engine piston is COMPLETELY different (read harder) to an IR on the A320. I'd imagine a rock bottom conversion would cost £25-30k to go from an MPL to a CPL/ME/IR of which you'd ADDITIONALLY have to attach a type rating to once you find an airline to recruit you (2024 at the earliest. Frankly they're not going to be sponsoring anyone before that). If the outcome of the £65k extra that L3 asked for was a conversion to a CPL/ME/IR and then a standard A320 type rating, sadly, almost reasonably priced given the current market rate; if the entire A320 phase needed to be redone by way of a full type rating - depends on what EASA-FCL says, perhaps there is room to use some of the previous hours, but I imagine this is a novel situation that needs regulatory investigation.

There is and was never any guarantee that doing an MPL would result in a permenant position with easyJet and despite the marketing, anyone that properly read the contract would know that was never the case. Anyone was deluded into thinking this was a sure thing. However, I apprecieate that under normal times, a cadet joining the MPL could have expected to be employed by easyJet about 18 months after day one of groundschool. This is not the case any more and any future applicants would be foolhardy to imagine so, or sell that impression to their parents.

Obviously I won't share the specific details in the contracts here as that is unfair on both parties. It roughly says that they will intend, but explicitly says they can't guarantee any placement with easyJet at the end of training. They made it clear they couldn't guarantee placement for precisely the scenario we find ourselves in. As brutal as this is, if they didn't have that clause, then shame on easyJet.

For any training/sponsorship/agreement, read the contract and expect/account (financially) for the worst. If that isn't palatable or possible, don't sign it!