PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Malibu choice Continental or Lycoming?
Old 6th Oct 2020, 22:22
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Up to this point the discussion has centred on the merits and demerits of some aircraft. The contributions are excellent but (beyond reliability and maintenance) the reason for buying an aircraft is rarely about the aircraft itself. The choice is much more about what you want from the aeroplane and how you intend to use it. Whenever I am asked for my advice on buying an aeroplane my first question is always: "how do you intend to use it?".

The Piper Malibu may well be your choice if your flying will be high, a long range is needed in great comfort and between well equipped and serviced aerodromes. The Cessna 210 is a brute and can also take you high whilst being well loaded with people or freight. Its talent is to take you off relatively short earth strips and above the mountains and then put you down safely amongst them with its truly short field performance. The Saratoga is a tough low altitude work horse and is useful to carry the family in okay club seating comfort when needed but also some freight or bulky work equipment with its wide rear cabin doors (fixed gear for rough earth strips). It will get you there at circa 150 kts. with a very good range but it is without anti-icing. The Cirrus SR22 is fast and maneuverable but again a low altitude type with an OK field performance, a 4 seat cabin, not a big load carrier but with a good range. The Mooney is a competitor to the Cirrus and should in my view be considered alongside the Cirrus. Known as the Porsche of the sky, owners very rarely part with them. The last two provide a sporty handling feel if that is important. So, these are all very different but each has a unique role.

The aircraft market is small and so factories look very carefully to identify a particular place in the market and sell into it. They don't look to compete with similar types with a similar operational performance because there's not the room. So what's your choice? There will be one that's right for you but depending very much on the role it will play.

Last edited by Fl1ingfrog; 6th Oct 2020 at 22:56.