PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin 737 in near miss
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2003, 08:44
Red Moyayo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up until this point I had tried to convince myself that the new NAS wouldn't be a problem if we were operating in Class E airspace with radar coverage. This incident would tend to disprove that theory.

I simply do not understand how this system is supposed to be safe. We are relying on transponders which must be switched on but at no point do we ever have to check that those transponders are actually working when the switch is in the on position. I would love to meet the individual(s) that came up with this 'fool proof' system.

I understand that this system is proven in the USA. I have not operated in the US so I cannot comment from personal experience. I would however suggest that the United States is very different because of the fact that the country is blanketed in radar coverage (probably to see the Russians coming in the old days!).

Furthermore, I do not understand this constant obsession with emulating the USA. Have you ever been to the USA? We should be doing everything possible to avoid becoming like the US!

The NAS should not only be suspended immediately, it should be squashed completely. I refuse to believe it is the only option for airspace reform.

RM.