PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar vectoring below MSA
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2020, 17:58
KongFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar vectoring below MSA

Hello,

I've been told recently that if you get a direct routing to a fix below the MSA, for example to cut a missed approach procedure short, and just divert to somewhere else, then you need to confirm that you are being radar vectored? This sounds odd to me, as PANS-ATM defines vectoring as such:

Vectoring. Provision of navigational guidance to aircraft in the form of specific headings, based on the use of an ATS surveillance system.

The way that I read the above, is that the only way to be vectored is by giving a heading, and therefore if given direct a VOR, it is not a vector.
I also digged a bit further, and found this in PANS-ATM:

8.6.5.2 When vectoring an IFR flight and when giving an IFR flight a direct routing which takes the aircraft off an ATS route, the controller shall issue clearances such that the prescribed obstacle clearance will exist at all times until the aircraft reaches the point where the pilot will resume own navigation. When necessary, the relevant minimum vectoring altitude shall include a correction for low temperature effect.

Would this mean if given a direct routing, the ATCO will always make sure there is sufficient obstacle clearence? Are there any exceptions?
Thanks in advance!