PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin 737 in near miss
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2003, 07:43
gary gearbox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew past a class D non radar tower a few days ago, VFR in the adjoining class E airspace. Transponder & lights on, good look out, & monitoring the tower frequency etc. In line with the new regs I refrained from making any calls unless they were warrented. I was about 20miles west of the field and a jet called inbound at 50 or 60 miles from the same direction. I made a tower and all stations call and seperation was sorted out after four or five radio calls. There was no conflict but it was unorganised and inefficiant in comparison to the previous system in place. About 3 minutes later a turbo prop was airbourne at the same field and once again extra radio calls were required to maintain adaquate situational awareness. Previously I would have had an airways clearance, the tower would have know exactly where I was, and given the arriving & departing aircraft accurate traffic information. Someone new to that area or with minimal experiance would have had difficulty maintaining S.A. in that situation. Unable to quickly and accuratly broadcast their position and intentions. Overall safety in that area is without a doubt comprimised. Good luck to all!!

GG