PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2020, 08:58
ATNotts

Received 289 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by MANFAN
My sentiments exactly!
I have flown twice on business since mid July from the UK to France and Germany. But now due to the many restrictions and quarantine rules all over Europe, I am essentially grounded!
A colleague of mine spent 5 days recently in France for business and flew back via Germany as no direct flight to his final destination. He paid to have a test in France 3 days before his departure to Germany and had the results 24hrs later which he provided to the German authorities on arrival. Stayed in a hotel overnight, the next day had another test at the airport in Germany (free) and again results available 24hrs later (both negative). But because he originated in France, he still has to quarantine for 14 days in the UK, despite having 2 negative tests within 5 days in two different countries. Good job he can also work from home and is on partial furlough!
To listen to the media you'd think that the only reason people travelled by air was for "holidays"!

It's business travel that keeps the air travel sector ,in business in the northern hemisphere during the winter season, and the UK quarantine regulations will leave many would be business travellers grounded, as indeed you are effectively. Sure for the likes of TUI and Jet2 their business is by and large holidays, less so the likes of Easyjet, Ryanair and BA.

Of course with the disastrous level of new infections in UK presently, it is only a matter of time before the likes of Germany, Italy and Sweden (to name but three) put the UK on their risk lists, requiring quarantine on arrival.