PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2020, 05:58
neville_nobody

Received 138 Likes on 63 Posts
Although interstate and international aviation is suffering out of WA, intrastate isn’t. There’s been a boom in local tourism and buying of local goods, especially luxury goods. Boat sales in booming. The economy isn’t suffering too bad, unemployment dropped and it’s a fair bet there aren’t as many Jobkeeper recipients in WA compared to the rest. There probably is a fairly good argument to keep border restrictions in WA a few months longer to make sure it doesn’t get into our vulnerable indigenous communities. But I do understand the family separation issues and overall national picture, and hope the interstate borders re-open prior to year’s end too. WA was generally being put back on an OK track by McGowan after the Colon Barnett downturn. He deserves credit for not buckling to the Feds when they wanted to disembark that plague ship in Freo as well.

So as in any election we then look at the alternative, Liza Harvey? I don’t think even Liberal party supporters want her anywhere near the Premier’s office, that’s assuming more than 10% know who she is. She was only put into the job to cop the inevitable first election loss anyway. The state Libs have virtually nothing to offer and are on track to be wiped out at the next poll. The worst problem for those wanting the interstate border to open was having Clive Palmer front and centre calling for them to open. I bet quite a few people probably wanted the border shut just to keep him out.
That's wonderful and all however there is the issue of the constitution. If the East Coast is no longer in Pandemic then the WA Government has to open the border. In reality they should be open to most of Australia already. Sooner or later the WA Labor Party might have to realise they are not running a Communist Dictatorship and are beholden to a few rules that govern the whole country.

Last edited by neville_nobody; 6th Oct 2020 at 08:19.