PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Malibu choice Continental or Lycoming?
Old 5th Oct 2020, 11:58
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
less investment, and more or less, the same annual cost.
To the many people who have asked my opinion about buying and operating a plane, my advice has always been: "How much money can you afford? Buy a plane which costs no more than half of that, and save the rest to operate it.". I have done okay in life owning modest airplanes, which I can use weekly/daily, without worrying about the cost, and for the odd time I need something bigger or faster, I can rent it. I have known a few pilots who were "plane poor", they owned the expensive plane, and did not have enough money to operate it worry free ('cause I rented a few of them!). Added to that these days is a greater focus on aging aircraft concerns. Sure, buy a fairly new plane, and those concerns are greatly reduced, but then you're paying a much higher cost for the newer plane.

There are "sweet spots" for airplane ownership, but it really requires doing your homework to get there. Sometimes the information seems counter intuitive. When I see a Cessna 340 for sale for less than a well equipped Cessna 206, I know something requires more research with the 340! There'll be a bigger cost in the background, which is not so much in the background of the 206. That said, I am aware at present that nearly all Cessna twins have some expensive inspections required (which may be worth it if it's an otherwise good plane). And some Cessna 210's, 206's, 205's, 182's and 172's also have comparatively expensive inspections and some service kit installations required. Sorry, I'm just not up on comparative Piper "issues", other than I have been aware of some difficulty buying certain repair parts.

This is when it's worth paying for the maintainer of your choice to help you with research before you select a type, and again, with the specific plane you're considering buying....