PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2020, 06:39
Atlantic Explorer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
Let's suppose that later in October, the relevant bodies in UK Govt announce test-on-arrival at UK airports for Covid. Maybe there will be just a single test on arrival, maybe there will be a 2nd test a few days later. If you test positive, you go into some form of quarantine; if you test negative in both rounds, you are free to go as you please.

Under such a scenario where free movement post arrival is not guaranteed (asymptomatic carriers still have to quarantine), would people suddenly become much more willing to get on an airplane and fly off ? My feeling is there would be a slight increase in flying, but most UK residents still wouldn't want to risk it until either Xmas or Easter, but I'm interested in what others think passenger demand for air travel would look like
I tend to agree. 2020 is dead as far as I’m concerned. I think most people have written this year off as far as holidays are concerned, most bookings for this year have either been refund requested for moved to next year and it’s probably fair to say, consumer confidence in the air industry has been dented in the last few months. There’s a huge percentage of the population now either unemployed or potentially looking at unemployment over the next few weeks and months. The confidence to go and splash the cash booking a last minute holiday I would suggest, is in short supply.

Most of the people I know are just waiting for 2021 to come in and have a ‘reset’ and are hoping to have a much better year next year.