PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Malibu choice Continental or Lycoming?
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 17:38
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
Engine make matters much less than general condition. An airplane that has been let go can easily take 100K to make it safe, not including major work like engine prop overhaul.

The lycoming ones are newer and so have some improvements that are not in the early ones. The sweet spot I am told are the earlier ones which have been upgraded to the Continental TSIO 550 with a scimitar prop. The later airframes got heavy so they have low useful loads. In any case proper training by somebody who knows the type is essential.

Personally my desire to fly one of these is zero. Running pressurization, deice, air con, and a big alternator to drive all the avionics is asking a lot of one piston engine. The P210 and Malibu are the only SEP airframes where engine failure is the leading cause of fatal accidents.

I would suggest you look at a Cessna 340. Yes 2 engines to feed and maintain, but the rest of the maintenance will be similar and you get a bigger cabin, faster cruise at real world power settings and options when a prime mover quits.....