PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USMC Mid-Air - F-35/KC-130
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 15:11
JumpJumpJump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by capngrog
Originally Posted by capngrog
Should you need to eject just say "I'm ejecting", don't bother with all that MAYDAY nonsense. .
I might say that to my GIB (if so equipped), otherwise, I'm pulling the "handles" and getting out. Let ATC figure it out. Of course, it is always best to transmit as much information to ATC (or whomever) prior to ejection ... if there's enough time.

By the way, I have no experience with ejection seat-equipped aircraft. I'm just a card-carrying coward, and as soon as the idea "eject" entered my brain, I'm outta there. I do, however, have a couple of friends who successfully ejected from stricken aircraft ... one from an F-105 at near M-1.

Cheers,
Grog
Likewise never flown anything in which ejection is an option... However... I would imagine that in almost all cases, a 0.5-second call saying "Ejecting" would have a helicopter sent out to my location pretty quickly. If I am on the ground, in the middle of nowhere, with a broken leg.... I would not like to be thinking about whether or not the controller is still sitting at his chair trying to work out what was going on. Knowing the exact point of ejection would seriously reduce the search area, I guess.

I am purely guessing that the system as a whole might have an ELT, or the Military pilots might carry some sort of personal location device... however... If that hunch is right or wrong... a quick shout out couldn't do much harm....

... THinking further... in the circumstances of this thread... a quick shout of "Ejecting" allows the controller to focus more on the wounded Herc, as he isn't trying to work out what is happening with the other aircraft... the other aircraft is now isaac newton and the insurance company's problem

Last edited by Senior Pilot; 3rd Oct 2020 at 20:18. Reason: Fix quote