PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the Cadet Pilot extinct down under?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 14:57
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree. Do the course, knowing that there probably won’t be a job waiting for you at the end of it.

Then take your fresh CPL and go bush, like a normal GA pilot would, knowing that you will be competing for C206 gigs with ex-airline pilots with thousands of hours.

That’s ok...Work in a bar up north or out west, pick fruit, sweep hangars, fix 4wd’s or whatever else you can find, and network with whatever pilots and charter mobs you can find until you find yourself in the seat of something that flies. That’s what we all used to do. You might find an operator who actually wants you over a redundant airline jock who expects the coffee delivered to them rather than the other way around. Depends how you present yourself.

A few years later, you might get a phone call from your cadet airline operator. If so, sweet! You would have a few years of real blues and real flying, and you would never forget it. If not, keep doing what you are doing until you have the hours and experience to make in an airline, old-school. You won’t regret that either.

If you aren’t prepared to do that, then I would argue that you shouldn’t be doing a cadet course in the first place. You need to love flying to enjoy this career, and that means doing whatever it takes.

Airlines always go in waves. When you are at the bottom of a wave, it can be impossible to see the top.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see our industry going gangbusters within 5 years. Maybe it will be 4, maybe 7. But it will happen.