PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK CAA Flight Examiners in Dubai
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 14:08
excrab

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I flew the Aeroprakt 22 with Jazirah aviation club in RAK, admittedly back at the beginning of 2019 before I left the UAE, so never did the conversion course. They told me it would be about 12 hrs to get a certificate to fly solo which they could issue, as it’s a microlight not an SEP. That was based on my already having a UAE licence, which I had. Probably the simplest thing would be to do some training and a licence skills test in the UK, get your licence reissued (EASA or what comes next after Brexit) then do the UAE air law exam and medical and get a UAE licence issued. To be honest I have no idea how you would do that, as I was flying commercially and the airline sorted it all out, but it would presumably involve a lot of sitting around waiting in offices, and spending lots of money.

Once the course was finished I was told you can fly solo and take passengers in the training area along the coast, and also to some other airfields in the UAE, not DXB obviously, but they did talk about being able to do cross countries to Al Ain, DWC, and possibly to Skydive Dubai’s strip on the Al Ain road, although why you would want to fly a light sport aircraft into DWC or AAN I can’t imagine, you can’t even get a bacon sarny when you’ve got there.... I would suggest that renewing your UK licence and flying in the UK when you’re on leave from whatever you do in Dubai would be better, once you’ve flown over one bit of desert you’ve pretty much flown over all of it....

But if you decide to do it I’d call the Jazirah Aviation Club first, and do the normal thing of arranging to go and see them and take your licence and log book and see what they suggest. I called in there a few times in the four years I was in Dubai and they were always very friendly and especially if you go on a Saturday you can sit and watch the aeroplanes. I have no idea, of course, as to how they’ve been affected by Covid....