PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The South China Sea's Gathering Storm
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 10:30
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
"Bullies don’t respect ‘friendly gestures’, they only back down when stood up to,"

Trouble is flitlicker that simplistic statement has been used as the justification for 95% of military actions in the last 70 years - and its often turned out to be simplistic & wrong and has turned into a disaster - Suez, Vietnam 3 times), Yemen (twice), Afghanistan (twice), Iraq, Libya

you can see why people aren't very convinced
I was told bullies were bigger kids who picked on smaller kids when alone, usually with the help of their buddies, so they would be easy targets. In all these conflicts it was usually only one bigger side with allies picking on a smaller country that wasn't comparable in strength.

I was also told bullies tend to back off like cowards when they come up against a nation that is similar to them in strength. I'm just wondering that if the nation that was the bigger side in most of those aforementioned conflicts has finally met someone who isn't going to be like Afghanistan or Iraq?

That article about increased British presence in East Asia? Well that's an example of an elderly frail former boxer who has suffered a bout of dementia and has deluded themselves into thinking they can take on a current heavyweight champ contender over 12 rounds.