PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2020, 16:54
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly757X
Maybe I'm a little detached but I'm not really getting the whole "struggle to survive" carry on. Sure it will be a quiet airfield but SOU isn't an isolated issue and as far as I'm concerned SOU has done really well when it comes to emerging in a post-BEE world when compared to other airfields, probably only behind BHD. There is plenty of airports around the UK which even in normal times would kill for a schedule such as the one presented.

I'll admit, I'm not particularly clued in on the operation of airports in this region of the UK. However with the already announced schedules for S21 surely one can only be optimistic for the future? There is plenty other airports (much smaller at that) out there in a much more precarious position when it comes W20/21. My sympathies are with folk at the airport as I'm sure it must be a worrying time. However if we can all get over W20/21 with the correct and rightful support from the government, I can only envisage a time in the future, whether that be 6 or 12 months ahead when our regionals are in a more balanced place than even before the pandemic when it comes to domestic connectivity.
Nice to see a a balanced and intelligent post on here for a change. To give you a heads up this thread has long since been infected by a couple of resident trolls who seem to revel in the fact that hundreds of families livelihoods are hanging in the balance at the moment and even worse wishing their demise is around the corner. There are definitely grounds for one individual to be banned by the mods but unfortunately no action so far (does anyone else think it's ironic that he has named himself after a runway at the airport that he spews nothing but hate about?). At the very least this thread should come with a disclaimer pinned to the top warning well meaning people not to fall into the trolls traps.

Its very simple, the music has stopped and everything is currently on hold, not just in this country, but around the world. Just as it did after 9/11 and the various other financial crashes that have happened since then. All the money that was sloshing around before covid hasn't disappeared, its just being held onto until covid is under control. It is honestly a waste of breath discussing any individual airport's current status as they are all in the same boat. Routes are constantly going to be chopping and changing to work around what are very fluid travel restrictions. Lets keep ignoring the trolls and start being a bit more positive, things can only get better and SOU going forward with the investment should be grounds for much positive discussion.

As for the quotes coming out of the management, there is also a quote confirming that £15m is set aside and ready to be spent on the extension. I think its safe to say that SOU is financially secure. Even if the current operator decided to call it quits someone else would come along to keep it running as an airport. The various local authorities would also resist all attempts for it to be used as anything else. Look at the hardly needed and long dormant Manston airport's recent goings on for a start.