PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2020, 14:32
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
SOU is in serious trouble

Originally Posted by Fly757X
Maybe I'm a little detached but I'm not really getting the whole "struggle to survive" carry on. Sure it will be a quiet airfield but SOU isn't an isolated issue and as far as I'm concerned SOU has done really well when it comes to emerging in a post-BEE world when compared to other airfields, probably only behind BHD. There is plenty of airports around the UK which even in normal times would kill for a schedule such as the one presented.

I'll admit, I'm not particularly clued in on the operation of airports in this region of the UK. However with the already announced schedules for S21 surely one can only be optimistic for the future? There is plenty other airports (much smaller at that) out there in a much more precarious position when it comes W20/21. My sympathies are with folk at the airport as I'm sure it must be a worrying time. However if we can all get over W20/21 with the correct and rightful support from the government, I can only envisage a time in the future, whether that be 6 or 12 months ahead when our regionals are in a more balanced place than even before the pandemic when it comes to domestic connectivity.
Today from the SOU Ops Director speaking on their FB pages -

''We are fighting for survival, we are a failing business, since the loss of Flybe, and now Covid.
We have a real threat that the airport may have to close''......

This is really sad - and frankly what else can they do?

Here is a link to his statements and the FB post https://www.southamptonairport.com/r...=&utm_content=

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=786920115184602

I fully support using SOU where I can, both now and in the past, but sadly since Covid any attempt to try and fly using the airport and booking the likes of Eastern have been untenable for me unfortunately.
I do hope they get through this but it is not looking good.

Just seen this posted on the EXT thread -
Meanwhile in reality, a funding package worth nearly £1m designed to ensure Exeter Airport can avoid the worst case scenario of closure has been unanimously backed at East Devon District Council cabinet meeting Wednesday night.