PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX to transition to ATRs, start domestic jet ops
Old 1st Oct 2020, 08:16
430W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This doesn't make any sense. Do Rex really believe that Bain Capital after spending all they have and QF are going to sit idly by and have Rex wander in and take market share on these routes. Rex are going to squeal like a stuck pig when they get the competitive reaction that anyone could see coming. Bain must be absolutely beside themselves with the way this has played out with the closed borders and now with a start up competitor being subsidised by government to the magnitude it is.

While I understand Rex doing it because the subsidies are offered you have to question the appropriateness and magnitude of the subsidy provided to this company which has the Coalition's Ex-Minister of Transport,Ex-Treasurer of the National Party and expert in government travel rorts as Deputy Chairman. Highly questionable no matter how you look at it.

No other industry or individual is receiving subsidies like this. Everyone else is on a subsistence type payment to keep people employed (or at least attached to the company) or receiving legislative protection to keep wolves from the door. While I sympathise with the sentiment that this is providing jobs. What about the jobs it will be costing in VA and QF as they react to a false market created by the government. The concept that Rex is receiving subsidies that enable them to do this must be galling to VA and QF. You shouldn't be able to receive subsidies like this while expanding. No problem with them doing it, I just object to the subsidies that may affect my job.