PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATP(A) Integrated SPIC hours
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2020, 16:31
wigbam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillieBob
You can include any amount of SPIC in your logbook but any above 20 hours cannot be counted as PIC for any licensing purpose and is, therefore, pointless. What you write in your personal logbook is entirely up to you, provided that you include the minimum requirements of Article 228 of the ANO (assuming that you are UK-based).
This is no longer the case as far as I understand. There was a Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/1747 which changed this requirement (I would have posted a link, but for some reason pprune treats me as having 0 posts , so just search for this reg).

Before 15/10/2019 Part-FCL part A of Appendix 3, point (b) in point 9 used to state:
70 hours as PIC, including VFR flight and instrument flight time as student pilot in-command (SPIC). The instrument flight time as SPIC shall only be counted as PIC flight time up to a maximum of 20 hours;
Which meant that students had to do at least 50 hours PIC alone time in the aircraft. The above mentioned amendment changed this as follows:
(60) in part A of Appendix 3, point (b) in point 9 is replaced by the following:
‘(b) 70 hours as PIC, of which up to 55 hours may be SPIC. The instrument flight time as SPIC shall only be counted as PIC flight time up to a maximum of 20 hours.’;
So effectively, now students need only 15 hours of proper PIC alone time in the aircraft. This was quite a silent, but significant change in regs which went mostly unnoticed.