PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transferable Skills
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2020, 00:00
Skippy69

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Some guys on here are painting lovely pictures about transferable skills- I'm sorry but I don't buy it- unlike alot of young pilots who had Mummy and Daddy pay for everything- I myself fortunately got a trade- and then paid those outrageous training fees.. it ain't glamourous- it pays pretty well when you get onto the right contracts- and it's a job..

I was not looking forward to having to go back to my old boss and ask for my old job back after 5-6 years of flying... It is what it is and I'm saving plenty of cash now that I'm doing it..

BUTTT- to say that the skills we have are transferrable is not a notion that I buy, many companies know that as soon as something else comes up flying wise you'll be gone... Also looking at a gps or making swanky radio calls don't really stack up to working in an office or flipping burgers... Knowing a fuel load or weight and balance or asking an FO what sandwich he/she got on said flight don't really translate to much else...

​​​​​​I feel for the younger SO's here that have taken a short cut to get into the big jet game and thanks to that silly little P2X rating they are served with- their hours count for naught also- so getting into GA for many will be impracticable- unless they are willing to get a real entry level job as a 172 whale spotter or something..

Anyway- don't be afraid of labouring, waiting, delivery driving or finding yourself a sugar mumma of daddy...