PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checklists?
Thread: Checklists?
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2003, 01:04
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with most checklists I have come across in flying clubs or schools is that they simply are not checklists at all...........they are "do lists".

The average flying club checklist will have every step required to start the engine which is great if one wants to learn how to start the engine. However, once one can start an engine, there is no longer a need for that detailed procedure to be included in the checklist. Thus by catering for the lowest common denominator, flying schools and clubs call their what to do procedure book a checklist.

Personally, I favour the full logical sequential scan where one looks and checks everything is set for start or take-off as appropriate. Provided that the pilot knows how to start the engine and how to turn on the radios and how to complete a run-up, the checklist can be cut down to the essential killer items.....i.e. the items that will kill you if they are missed..............after all, taking off with the radio's off will hardly kill you........and it's very hard to do if you have ATC so why bother wasting a line in the checklist for "turning on the radios"!!

One checklist I came across even had a check for the pilot to "look out for traffic". I was of the opinion that lookout was required at all times - not just when the checklist requires!!

Using the POH as a guide, a checklist could simply be;

Brakes ON
Radios Off
Start Engine

Controls Full and Free
Fuel On and Suficient (pump)
Power Check
Security

Pre-landing;

Gear down
Fuel on fullest tank, pump on
Cabin secure

After landing;

Radios off before engine!

Most important of all I think is that a checklist must be used to confirm (check) that an essential action has been completed and not as a daily reminder of the actions required to fly an aircraft.

The biggest pet hate I have is pilots reading the pre-landing checklist, reaching the check "Gear down" and simply moving the lever but not waiting for the result................personally, I prefer the prelanding checklist to be read after the gear is down and the aircraft essentials set.....then it is what is says.....a check of what has been done!

regards,

DFC