PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF trooping 1950s
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2020, 11:14
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
There are photos of Skyways of London and Airwork HP Hermes both at Paya Lebar in 1957 & 1958

Some tales here from HP site -
Stops were - Skyways Hermes G-ALDH 1958 Blackbushe UK to Singapore via Brindisi, Ankara, Abadan, Karachi (night stopover), Delhi, Calcutta, Bangkok and Paya Lebar.
I was 13, loved every minute and now just retired from an airline career. I went back to boarding school on a Britannia of Hunting Clan, then out on holiday on a BOAC Comet and back to school courtesy on a new Qantas 707.

Flew in an Airwork Hermes to Singapore in 1955, 3 days and 3 hours Blackbushe to Singapore. Two overnight stops in Nicosia and New Delhi. The seats were facing backwards, this was supposed to be safer in the event of a crash, Memories!

Flew to Singapore on G-ALDO in Oct '57 landing at Rome, Ankara, Bahrain, Karachi (overnight stop at Minwallah's Grand Hotel), Delhi, Calcutta , Bangkok finally arriving at Paya Lebar Airport during a monsoon where we finished up in a ditch off the runway. Looked quite dramatic in Straits Times photo next day. Nice way to celebrate my 20th birthday!

Flew back to the UK from Singapore, Early June 1959 by Skyways Hermes (G-ALDS) with wife and two small children. Stopped in many places seemed to be for meals, Karachi overnight, we were turned back after taking off from Bahrain and had to remain in some little hotel from Sunday till Tuesday when a new pilot arrived, he took us to Abadan and then over the mountains to Ankara (we circled over a crashed aircraft) Many had developed dysentery, and where given treatment in Ankara airport in full view of everyone. On to Brindisi for tea and then to Stansted, a very long and tiring flight. Then because of the lateness of arrival we had to sit up in Euston Station to await the first train to North Wales on the Wednesday morning. I think maybe this was one of the last Hermes flights as we saw a Britannia in Calcutta on its way to Singapore, refuelling.

Flew on a Skyways of London Hermes in 1957 troop flight from Blackbushe to Singapore. Flight was not without incident. Firstly a 'long drop' of what felt like at least 1000ft whilst circling over Rome, left everyone shaken. Secondly, undershot approach to Basra /Iraq, only prompt action by pilot revving engines up to max to gain height and banging the a/c down onto the runway, saved us ending up in the Euphrates. What memories - thank god we flew back in an Air Charter Britannia. At least I'm still here to tell my grandchildren.

More tales here plus an old Hermes Pprune thread - Handley Page H.P.81 Hermes - civil transport

https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/356877-handley-page-hermes-iv.html