PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sir David Jason meets the BBMF
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2020, 09:57
Downwind.Maddl-Land

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxR
None of which was done by a Lancaster during the BoB so you seem to have spent a great deal of time arguing against a point that you had failed to understand in the first place. My point was not that Bomber Command did not defend Britain but that they didn't do it in a Lancaster in 1940.
Got a flyable Battle, Whitley, Hampden or Wellington to hand have you? (yes, I know there's a flying Blenheim, but that doesn't belong to the MoD/RAF does it?)

And, be honest with yourself, that wasn't the 'point' you were making in your original post was it?

"Why would you want to see the Lancaster? Wasn't the programme about the Battle of Britain? In fact, while I'm at it, why does the BBMF have a Lancaster at all? Surely they need to change their name."

The point you were obviously attempting to make - which I (and many others I suspect) clearly understood - was that the Battle of Britain was fought solely by Fighter Command and that the Lancaster therefore had no place in the BBMF's line-up; that's understandable as that is the way that history (and the media) portray it. However, the RAF’s mission statement for the BBMF is…

“… to maintain the priceless artefacts of our national heritage in airworthy condition in order to commemorate those who have fallen in the service of this country, to promote the modern day Air Force and to inspire the future generations.”

Consequently, as the only Nationally-owned flyable airframe representative of Bomber Command's main equipment during the whole of WWII, the Lancaster manifestly earns her place among the hallowed ranks of the BBMF and therefore within the television programme under discussion.