PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Full ICAO ATPL conversion to EASA while living in Australia
Old 29th Sep 2020, 01:18
dive and drive

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Full ICAO ATPL conversion to EASA while living in Australia

Hello everyone, I'm an airline F/O here in Australia.
At the moment it looks like I'm one of the lucky ones, I still have a job but I've been grounded since late March.
When I do get back to work it will probably be on a part time basis for a couple of years or so. Trying to make the most out of a bad situation, I'm considering using the spare time to convert my full CASA (Australian) ATPL into an EASA one. I have an European passport and in the future I'd like to have the option to move over there when the market picks up again.
I'm aware I'll need to sit the 14 ATPL exams and go for a sim proficiency check.
The main problem will be traveling to sit the theory exams. At the moment it's clearly impossible, but when international travel restrictions are somewhat eased what would be the best way to go about this? I know the UK CAA has/had theory exams centers in Kuala Lumpur, but with the Brexit ordeal that might not be an option anymore in the near future.
Are there other theory exams centers affiliated with European CAAs that are relatively close or easier to travel from and to Australia? U.S. West coast perhaps? Or is my only option to sit the exams in Europe?