PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2020, 21:21
racedo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DC3 Dave
Stats just seen on Sky suggest two things. One: The first wave of the virus disproportionately affected the least affluent in society. The second wave has homed in on those at the opposite end - those who lead comfortable lives by any standard.
Know a number of people who died from Covid plus others infected, they were not the "least affluent in society" by any measure. Firstwave have hit many people who had underlying medical conditions, secondary was health service personnel who had inadequate protection.

Issue was made out as a BAME disease because people were disproportionately impacted by Covid and it was being portrayed as a "race" issue because less white people dying. However NHS stats over decades have shown that 1st Generarion immigrants are mnore likely to have higher incidence of diabetes / obesity etc than native population. In some Asian communities the diabetes issue shows a 4-6 times more prevalent than similar Uk born population.

This seen through change in diet and an inability of body to copy with more sugars / fats / dairy that more prevalent in UK diet. 2nd and 3rd generations it seems to be less of a problem as body used to the diet. The health service not unsurprisingly impacted massively where there is a higher proportion of 1st generation immigrants than % of population as a whole.

If it was a "race" issue as people have made out then it would have decimated populations of same race in their home countries. It didn't so makes it more of a Uk centric issue than anything else.

Two: Those who have travelled abroad in recent weeks are developing Covid19 at a rate way way higher than those who have remained in the UK.
Well travelled abroad in August and have been Covid tested twice since, as late as last Friday and thankfully negative both time. I didn't spend time in pubs etc since but didn't do it before Covid.

Points one and two may not be unrelated. So I ask. Is it time to shut down all but essential international travel? Shouldn’t we take advantage of our island status and close all points of entry? I don’t have an answer. Some of you must have a considered opinion.
There are 2 work colleagues who stayed in UK for holidays, both caught Covid, one holidayed in Cornwall and one in Lake district. They don't work in same office and both tested when returned from hols because place in was way too crowded.

Therefore no guarantee International travel is cause of outbreak because equally the Govt scheme in August, schools returning is as much to blame.

I travelled abroad in August because I need to get away after working solidly for 6 months, going to crowded areas in Uk I saw as way more risky. Not sure what is correct answer but was happy to have got out of Uk in August.