PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Antique aircraft down in Kent?
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2020, 18:35
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
AS regards the Tiger Club,the 'Super Tigers' were sans wing slats and lightweight. They also had a lower stalling speed than the standard tiger. Can not remember whether thay had the anti spin strakes fitted,although i do not recall any special briefing given re spinning / aero's. We also had a couple of standard Tigers with slats on the the top wing that were kept locked for aero's. I think they had strakes, but there was no 'magic' associated with them,and i seem to remember some folklore that they came about due to when they were with fitted anti invaision bomb racks. Of course a Tiger has to be rigged correctly to perform as it should.
The S Tiger was certainly more 'crisp' and ours used to be lent out to Gliding clubs for aero towing. With up to three Stampes also available at times we were rather spoilt on the fun biplane bit.
I do not recall locking them for take off although we may have locked them for taxy in gusty conditions. Rollasons used to prepare all our machines so they were as good as could be.