PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF KHORMAKSAR
Thread: RAF KHORMAKSAR
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2020, 15:19
DeanoP

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Military Parade at Lahej 20miles N. of Khormaksar.

A group from 233 Sqn travelled with wives and girlfriends to Lahej, about 20 miles North of Khormaksar, to view this military spectacular. This was in 1962 or 1963 when travel was relatively safe. I did not know of any restrictions to travel but in retrospect it was possibly a bit dicey.

I believe that abyanboard's Post No 840 is correct about the location not being at Lahej. Memory fades after 57years. He writes:
' This was not in Lahej. This was in Zinjibar in Abyan im 20th January 1963. I noticed it from the second flag for Al Fadhli Sultanate.
Thanks for these Historical pictures.'

TheAden Protectorate Levies (APL) were an Arab military force raised for the local defence of the Aden Protectorate under British rule. The Levies were drawn from all parts of the Protectorate and were armed and officered by the British military. They used the Lahej emblem of crossed jambiyah (traditional curved double-edged dagger) as their badge. (Wikipedia)

Presumably local ruler's militia

Aden Protectorate Levies

Presumably the local chieftain's militia with old muskets. (Martini Henry muskets?)

Flag of the Federation of South Arabia centre and right.

British Army but do not know which regiment. Might be one of the Hussars' regiments.

SAR flight Sycamore with the Federation flag.

Subdued (until 1964) locals, impressed by the show of force.

8, 208 or 43 Sqn Hunters.

Ferret Scout cars

Final event. I cannot remember who the Salute was for.
Federation flag in centre.

Last edited by DeanoP; 20th Dec 2020 at 11:21. Reason: Correction to location