PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beware of 'Pilotaware'
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2020, 08:40
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by The B Word
I believe the OP is an ex-Service Air Trafficker and also Air Cadet Gliding Instructor as a reservist in later years?? Both yours and Neil Murg’s posts stand out as folks that have been on Pprune for some time but don’t seem to have posted here before. So it looks kind of odd that you chip in on a military discussion forum in defence of a piece of cheap kit that many mil operators have seen and don’t like due to it not transmitting a signal that any of them are ever likely to detect. Now ADS-B Out is a different matter and many types will detect that via various means. As for introducing your own bespoke weather colour codes - well that just beggars belief!
Not quite right. After my NATCS ATCO Cadet course from 1971 to 1974 during which I worked for a while at a JATCRU, I was posted direct to RAE Farnborough where, being a MOD(PE) airfield, I quickly learnt military ATC procedures (including PAR) and used them for 26 odd years until our last military commitment (radar approach control and radar director for RAF Odiham) ceased in early 2000.
I was an Air Cadet glider pilot providing air experience flights to hundreds of cadets, declining the chance to become an instructor due to work commitments but after being commisioned in the RAFVR(T) (1979 to 1998) I also became a Wing Gliding Liaison Officer.
When I learnt that 'Pilot Aware' were providing a 'colour state' system which was radically different to the established military system in the UK, I decided (as ATCOs do) that in the interests of flight safety, I would alert military aircrew to this via a military forum .
The 2 persons who seem to object took this as if I were saying the whole of Pilot Aware systems were rubbish however I have made it perfectly clear at #24 that this is not so.