PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 28th Sep 2020, 08:20
Fursty Ferret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet II
Perhaps this is the ideal time to bring aviation into line with the rest of the world then?. LIFO in other industries died out in the 70's when the power of the unions was broken, now it is not Government diktat that is enforcing fundamental change but economic reality.

Would the industry actually be any worse if it was not based on seniority?
No, but I don't think it would be particularly better either. It's rare in any industry to have 4000+ individuals with identical skills (within reason).

How would you handle redundancies? Sure, you could use training records, but how in a way that's fair to both the youngest and oldest, and simultaneously the most junior and senior person in the company? Most people have squeaky clean records (i would assume). Picking names at random? Hardly seems better than LIFO and probably legally dubious. Total flying hours? Should ten thousand hours trundling around in a Seneca give you an advantage against someone who's got 5000 hours PIC of an Airbus? What about university qualifications?

Would you, as someone that's been in the company for a long time, accept a pay-cut to provide a flat pay structure? Right now that would benefit me but in ten years...