PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you keep pushing?
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2020, 21:41
lucille

Received 115 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Oddball77
If you’re still in your 20’s get out and get a degree/trade and find a real job. Fact is, here in Asia guys are literally sitting in the RHS of a jet at 200 hrs TT, so this notion that you need thousands of hours to get a airline job is BS.
True, but they are locals working in airlines with a very strong push to nationalise their pilot body. The reason they are employing bare CPL holders is that there are no other local pilots available.

This will give you a laugh.....In the mid 70s, armed with a bare CPL and 200 hours, I drove North looking for that elusive first job. Door knocking along the way. Came across a Twin Otter operator who ran an RPT service with two pilots. I was told to keep driving north because 4000 hours was their minimum experience level to be considered suitable as an F/O on a Twin Otter. No, not a typo, Four thousand hours. That lesson was one of the reasons I left Oz a few years later, never to return and without any doubt was the best career move.

For bottom feeders like me, a career is aviation in Oz was all about luck. With no rich Daddy and no contacts all that was available in Oz were the crumbs and leftovers - grim jobs that no one else wanted. Lucky to even get paid some weeks. Looks like some things never change in GA.

So, back to the OPs question about pushing on. There is no answer, if you’re a hopeless dreamer like most of us, you just keep plodding along always looking anywhere and everywhere for an opportunity until eventually you get lucky and the cards fall our way....or for the unlucky ones - they don’t.
Other than having a rich or connected daddy, there is no career silver bullet in this game.