PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2020, 16:16
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're perfectly at liberty to drive down to Exeter if that is your preference. But to project the blame for your personal phobia onto airlines which are doing their utmost to provide a safe travel experience is irresponsible and uncalled for. I have completed four flights over recent weeks. They were absolutely fine and I haven't died yet. I have six more bookings outstanding (including MAN-EXT-MAN with BlueIslands) and look forward to using them, provided that they're able to operate as planned. I have not felt unsafe at any time transiting the airports on my own recent journeys - MAN 4, BFS 2, AGP 2. Not the most exotic list, but I have had around 40 other flights cancelled this Summer!

It is also wrong to presume that everyone has the option to just jump in a car anyway. Many travellers need to use public transport. You're going to encounter strangers on trains and coaches too - though those companies are also doing their utmost to provide a safe travel environment.

If you're scared or know yourself to be especially vulnerable, by all means stay home. Nobody minds. But stop chucking hand grenades from your comfy armchair at aviation professionals who are bending over backwards to ensure a safe and efficient journey for their customers amidst the most challenging crisis the industry has ever encountered.

I do despair of this site at times. Useful posts advising very scarce items of good news (new scheduled services) are deleted, leaving behind just a hardcore of grumpy old codgers bitching about all those airline and airport staff who are slogging their guts out to provide us with safe travel in these tough times. Well, the bitching codgers can cower away as much as they like as far as I'm concerned - it is a personal choice.

But would it hurt you to spare a little positive sentiment and recognition for those dedicated airline / airport staff who are trying to earn a crust, support our fine industry, and ensure a fit-for-purpose sector once this accursed crisis has passed?