PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2020, 12:21
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vokes55

You are obviously entitled to act as you think fit within the law of the land and "carry on with life as normal", as you put it, and that includes flying. What I don't like is you sneering at others who do not feel that they should take that risk and describing them as "risk averse coronaphobes".

My 72 years of acquired risk assessment, what I would call common sense, tells me that I should try to avoid contracting COVID-19 if I possibly can as the result that I could die of it is sufficiently statistically significant. I very much miss travelling this year and my hope is that I may be able to sometime in 2021, probably as a result of a vaccine being available to me. Indeed, I probably have fewer years ahead of me that do you so each additional month of careful social distancing is more of a loss to me than it would be to you. My concern is that a vaccine is not guaranteed so maybe my travelling days are over for good and a continued high rate of infection without a vaccine would probably result in that outcome sadly. Your philosophy of 'live life and let the virus do its worst', if it becomes the social norm as it may well do among those who will not suffer severe illness if they catch it, is likely to result in very high infection and death rates this winter with the result that the real return to 'normal' is even further delayed. Perhaps you would suggest instead that, like you, I should take the risk, live my life as "normal" and, heck, if I catch COVID and die well bad luck. Not wishing to be that reckless (and that is surely a better word than suggesting it's a phobia) I don't consider it a sensible option.