PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britannia to MOS/LED
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2020, 09:25
Lance Shippey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987, I boarded an Aeroflot AN24 from TAS (Tashkent) to UGC (Urgench) with a group of
U.S. citizens, due to the stay in Samarkand being reduced by one night because of the
lack of hotel rooms. I was seated alone at the back, opposite the galley and freight hold.
45 mins into the flt,, a doctor in the group advised me that he thought he was having a
stroke, and would go into the WC. and leave the door unlocked. I should bring his wife
to the WC if he failed to come out. After having to call his wife, we helped him out of the
WC, and laid him down on the floor of an empty freight compartment. I asked the one
stewardess for the oxygen cylinder, which she gave me in two parts. I asked her what
pressure to put through the mask. Her reply, "I don't know, I have not been shown how
to us it" At this stage, I advised the 2 KGB men sitting near the galley, that I was going
to enter the cockpit, and speak to the captain. I told the young captain in German, that
I was a pilot, and we needed to divert, He replied," Military airspace" we can't. I will put
more speed, and land without flaps. radio for ambulance, You get off first. O.K. ?
The American doctor survived, but refused to get into the ambulance. He eventually
returned to HEL (Helsinki) with me, and back to the U.S. Thank heavens, that many
Uzbeki's speak German, as a second language.