PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2020, 06:39
Dannyboy39

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
Denmark, Iceland and (more surprisingly) Slovakia, along with Curacao get the chop this week. No countries added to the 'safe' list
Sweden and Greece survive for another week
It is worth noting that the UK's methodology is not as open and closed as some countries - i.e. if you go over a certain threshold, you're automatically on the red list. They also take into account testing levels, "track and trace" (LOL) system and more intangible intelligence.

I have been monitoring one country in Eastern Europe, as I travel there fairly often, who tested less than 7,000 people yesterday - pathetic levels. Yet they are using a hard threshold of 25 per 100,000 cases in the preceding 14 days. One of their neighbours of whom they have a lot of movement and trade went over this threshold last week, but they were granted a "10% tolerance" which at no stage I believe has been granted to anyone else. Their own country calculations also seem to be at odds with the ECDC numbers, almost seemingly far lower than what the European agency was reporting.

The travel corridors scheme is not exactly succeeding right now - there are around 60-70 countries / territories on the list, but only 9 of these allow UK residents into the country without a negative Covid-19 test or 14 days of self isolation. Meaning these people can come into the UK and not self isolate, but for UK residents they are not given the same treatment. I find visa rules and bilateral arrangements pretty ridiculous in normal times, but with the global immigration system based on this reciprocity, I find the current situation quite nonsensical.