PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin 737 in near miss
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2003, 21:23
tobzalp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clothears I actually had my nuts go into their caves in anger when I read the first 2 lines of your post. Thankfully the truth in what you said and the truth in what Dick Dud come out with are exactly the same.

p.s. I started a thread about this myself. Must read first. *deleted*

heres what I rotes thow

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1002882.htm

The Air Traffic Control Association is calling for the immediate suspension of the National Airspace System after what it calls a "near miss" in Victoria yesterday.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) is investigating an incident involving up to three aircraft in the skies over Melbourne.

Virgin Blue's head of strategy David Huttner has confirmed a Virgin 737 with 104 passengers on board from the Gold Coast was involved in what he calls an "occurrence".

"There was an occurrence this morning (Wednesday) and we immediately filed a report with the Australian Transport Safety Board," he said.

Association president Ted Lang says a Cessna was travelling between a 737 and a medical flight when it requested clearance to move.

He says the Virgin flight was cleared to descend at the same time, and the planes were just 20 seconds away from impact when the 737's collision warning system activated.

Mr Lang says air traffic controllers helped prevent a disaster.

"The aircraft was already under some instruction from air traffic control, but the advice was to maintain their current level, otherwise they were going to be in very, very close proximity to the aircraft," he said.

He says the new airspace regulations are to blame.

"My biggest concern is that the air traffic controller involved is going to be the scapegoat out of this whole system, but unfortunately this is an outcome of the National Airspace System that's been recently introduced and the person that's responsible for this is the Minister for Transport and Regional Services, John Anderson," he said.