PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beware of 'Pilotaware'
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2020, 21:33
CAPS_pin_removed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why?

Originally Posted by chevvron
I was referring only to the introduction of a different airfield colour state system compared to the one which already exists in the UK; the other features of Pilotaware are of no concern to me personally, however what should be of some concern is the amount of information fed to the pilot via Pilotaware; some pilots might concentrate on this and forget to look out of the window and thus not see an aircraft approaching which is not emitting any type of ellectronic conspicuity.
Hi Chevvron, I am mystified by this apparently unwarranted attack on Pilot Aware. You actually go so far as to say "... the amount of information fed to the pilot via Pilotaware ..." is a concern to you. Would you prefer pilots be kept in the dark? A pilot looking out the window may not see a contact but with Pilot Aware there is a chance they will get an audible traffic warning whilst continuing to look out the window. Just as they might in a G1000 equipped aircraft with TCAS. Not many GA aircraft in the UK have such a fit. If you are lucky enough to have say G1000 with TCAS and you get an audible warning, but still struggle to identify the target for any one of myriad reasons, you have an option to glance at the screen to get better situational awareness of the threat and the threat vector. Coming from the world of Avidyne and G1000 I was astonished to discover that for an almost trivial amount of money I could buy a box of tricks from a small UK company and link it to, in my case, another utterly amazing product called SkyDemon and get a bloody good facsimile of what I had in aircraft costing millions. I would ask you to reconsider and update this thread appropriately. You are doing a disservice to a fledgling British company that is punching well above its weight. You are also doing a disservice to any pilot rightly anxious about one of the most serious threats to aviation safety after CFIT, who might be considering how to mitigate the risk.

Some of the other posts on this thread come across as what I take to be trolling, if I understand that term correctly. Objecting to Pilot Aware being a young company in the same way that Microsoft was a young company when Bill Gates was tinkering in his garage with components from Radio Shack or RS or a US Maplins is not a reasoned assessment of anything.

Kind regards, J