PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixing the MAX
Thread: Fixing the MAX
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2020, 19:11
DaveReidUK

Received 206 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by 25F
The article (which, you know, I read first) says it extends the landing gear by 9 inches.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFM_International_CFM56 the 737NG's engine has a fan diameter of 61 inches and the MAX's LEAP-1B has a fan diameter of 69.4 inches. I am not comparing the *height* of the two engines because the former has had its height optimised to fit under the wing - do the same to the LEAP and it would I expect also fit under.
I don't think you've quite understood how the semi-levered gear on the 737-10 would work.

The ground clearance under the 737-10's engines, when on the ramp, taxiway and on landing, is no different to the 737-8 and -9. The levered gear only lengthens the leg on takeoff, as the aircraft approaches rotation, to reduce the tail strike risk (same as on the 777-300ER).

It follows that fitting the same gear on the other Max models would not provide any increase in wing height that would allow the LEAP engines to be mounted in the same position as the CFM56s on the NG.