PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Andover or Argosy tales please
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2020, 02:05
Onceacaptain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ICM
Somewhere back in the Archive there must be a lengthy thread of Argosy stories that was developed some years ago - I've just had a look and went a bit cross-eyed going through the Index pages - so apologies that I can't find it.

That said, I heartily endorse what Onceacaptain (ex-267 Exchange, perhaps?) has to say. I certainly enjoyed my time with 105 and 267 Sqns and I look back fondly at those years learning the trade. Using it as a baby-Britannia on sectors like Aden - Bahrain or Aden-Nairobi in ISA +15 conditions showed its limitations but, in and around the UK and Europe, it could be a very useful aircraft indeed. In an AT Tasking job some years later, and after its relatively short time in the AT role had been ended, there were often occasions when I'd have found it useful to still have had some around.
Well spotted ICM. A great experience for someone not long out of Vietnam. After the longest conversion course ever undertaken in my career, the arrival at 267 was a great relief. In the early days of 267 we flew as crews and a lot depended on who you were teamed up with, as that determined what you leant and achieved over the next six months or so. Personalities played an important role in the success of this crewing system!! I was lucky! What I enjoyed the most over the tour was the "personalties" on the Squadron - and we had many. Mess life was great. Importantly, I served under the best Commanding Officer I ever experienced in my Aviation career.