PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 19 year old firefighter
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 23:19
nomorehelosforme

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rotorfan
I’ve been itching to post again, but was hoping Gordy would chime in, whatever his opinion, as I suspected he might have insight into this family. Twenty years on this forum, and that’s the first time I’ve started a thread. Just a simple PPL with low RW hours, I don’t often feel comfortable about posting, as this place is meant for pros, but I hang out to learn. I should have expected it would somehow generate controversy, but I liked this story. Here’s a young pilot getting a chance to do something unusual, rather than sightseeing or moving freight or other typical early jobs. I wish I had gotten a commercial when I was young, and made flying a career, not just a “hobby”. Is it her fault she was born into an aviation family, and had an opportunity that others might not? If she had chosen to be a high fashion designer, someone would be chiding her for wasting the family flying connection. I expect her dad wouldn’t let her behind the cyclic if she wasn’t capable. He sure wouldn’t want to lose his precious little daughter and his precious little, er, big helicopter. I also highly doubt a pilot examiner would pass her checkrides if she wasn’t qualified, as it looks bad on them if she bends the airframe. Lessee, she has a commercial, instructor certificate, and typed in a Cessna jet. I haven’t seen the order form where I can send off my money for all that.

I wanted to be a military pilot, like my father, but had poor eyesight even as a kid. So, I learned planks as a young adult. Later, something sparked an interest in helicopters, and I found myself a student again, flogging the R22 an hour and half in the morning, then working the rest of the day, hoping I’d break even. Many of you gave up much more to learn, including compulsory years in the military. I continually read the bleating about bad bosses, lousy pay, junk machines, 21 hours on/3 hours off workdays, so why do it? Because of the love of flying, and helicopters in particular.

To those who support the young lady, I thank you for the positive comments. To those who didn’t see it that way, you once had one hour in your logbook, and someone was giving you a chance, not knowing if you’d even make it to a checkride, or survive and gain experience. Everybody starts somewhere, and it’s not all equal. Fair doesn’t exist in life. Bothered because she’s getting a little publicity when you’ve got so many more hours, and have done far greater things, and no article about you? It’s written by her hometown newspaper. Sheesh! Shouldn’t every small paper publish a positive story about one of their own youngsters? We all know how much bad press there is about this industry, I welcome something good. Yeah, a couple of inaccuracies, typical for a non-aviation writer.

I think she’s smart for having a Plan B. The accounting and business knowledge will serve her well to keep the company in the family down the road. Who knows, what if she ended up at one of the horribly run big operators I keep reading about here. Just think of it, a beancounter that actually can fly a helicopter. What a novel concept! Hmmmm, she might have empathy for those poor overworked pilots and try to improve their lot.

Between unaffordable rental rates and 7 years of cancer, the heli column in my logbook isn’t growing. But, that doesn’t mean I’m bitter and I can’t be happy for someone else’s success. I’m three times Ashli’s age with a fraction of her accomplishments, and my ego isn’t so large that I can’t acknowledge that. I love seeing young people exceed, as there are always plenty that don’t. Just last week, I attended a STOL (short takeoff or landing) competition. One competitor was a woman that just started flying this year, and has 300 hours. She came over the trees in a 60-deg slip right down to the grass, and made it look routine. Way better pilot than I am. She won second place. Oh yeah, just age 17. Once in a while, someone exceptional comes along. I think we call them a natural stick? Bravo! Can’t we celebrate that? Just yesterday, I got a text from one of the 500+ Young Eagles I’ve flown. He flies C-130s in the Marines in Hellistan. Hearing from him made my day, but not as much as the time he sent a pic standing in front of the TH-55 he had just passed his instrument checkride in. Wow, was I proud. He has far exceeded me, and as a mentor, I’m delighted.

I’ll get off the soapbox now. Maybe I’ll start a thread in another 20 years, if I make it that long, but only after slipping on the flak jacket.
Sir, nothing more to say apart from what an extremely fine post/response to previous posts, both negative and positive alike....Surely no need to sit on the benches for another 20 years!!!