PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 18:20
Dannyboy39

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LTNman
I am not going to tell the same long story again for the third time but I was hospitalised in Spain and still got a big bill, which my insurer had to pay despite being inside the EU. Doctor, ambulance, hospital, all private, not that I had any say in what was happening to me.

Changing the subject, everyday I watch the news and see different industries that need financial help. I think the government has borrowed £160 billion so far, which is increasing daily. All very well until we all start to pay off the debt then watch the same people complain.

No easy answers but money is not free.
I'm no fan of this government, but if this once in a 100 year event costs only £160bn, that is a good result. It is only about a quarter of the UK tax take in a normal year. People talk about reserving money for rainy day funds, but this is a humdinger of a downpour. In terms of paying it back, the UK has low interest rates, but lets be honest - the national debt is nominal.

The US in comparison spent $25bn on the CARES act alone, and there's talk of doubling that alone.