PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britannia to MOS/LED
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 11:55
WHBM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jensdad
I'm never quite sure how to take some of the stories that circulated about Eastern Bloc flights.
Myself likewise. Having taken a number of them, they all seemed pretty straightforward. Accounts of cabin crews have them as extremes, either ugly blocks or gorgeous blondes. In actual fact the Soviet bloc had about the same proportions of these as western carriers, or society in general. Meanwhile Tupolevs handle perfectly, leave on time, the cabin fit is fully up to standard, and compared to Western in-flight catering nowadays they have a thing or two to show.

I can however tell of my first ever arrival there. Anticipating the immigration desks to be staffed by KGB scowlers, it was a surprise that the whole lot were 20-something ladies, chatting away to each other, makeup applied, only let down by their longstanding Russian uniform oversize hats. On to customs, where there were raised voices at the inspection table. A suitcase was opened, and a Russian mama was giving the, again 20-something uniformed officer, and possibly the age of her son, absolutely what-for at full volume. He was back against the wall, almost cowering, facial expression of not knowing what to do, as this onslaught developed, goodness knows what over but she definitely had the upper hand. All the other Russians walked past without a care. Welcome to their world !