PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 10:37
Mr Mac

Received 152 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by DC3 Dave
There are approximately 15 million in the UK with chronic health issues. Many of those will not travel abroad again once EHIC ceases to be valid, not just because of the cost of private insurance, but because of the lack of a basic care guarantee and the fear of the insurer finding some minor omission and not paying a claim. I don’t know how commonly claims are rejected, but I do know the fear is very real.
DC3 Dave
I took this as a given as soon as the Brexit vote occurred, and as I work in Europe, and indeed further afield this has always been an issue that I could forese. As I work overseas my company covers me insurance wise, however when on holiday with Mrs Mac or indeed when she travels to our apartment in Munich she is no longer covered. She used to get world wide travel insurance through her bank in the UK (Lloyds) as an addition to her status as valued customer etc, and it cost a few hundred pounds per year. This has now been withdrawn, and she is having to go to the commercial market for cover from January, which is as you have said interesting financially. We are lucky, and it will not be an issue for us, but I can see many a Brit balking at the cost, and therefore not taking it out and trusting to luck, which will no doubt lead to some very busy consulates next year in the Mediterranean when the "luck" runs out. Another thing that Bojo forgot to mention with Brexit.
Cheers
Mr Mac