PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Horrible instructor!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 20:22
fitliker

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
The hard part of being a new instructor is keeping calm when someone is doing their best to kill you .
i will let someone scare me a little and offer a better way of doing something .
​​​​​​Calmly asking questions on how to improve the situation actively involving the student in fixing any deficiency . Does this look low or high to you ?
Questions must be polite to prevent the students defence mechanisms from interfering with the learning process .
It is not what we say , it is what is heard . If you are not polite asking serious questions , you are only making your job harder . The student will learn if you create a safe and polite respectful environment . Be the pilot everyone else wants to be .
Be the calm voice in the storm . Keep it simple .
Keep it fun . Offer calm solutions .Answer dumb questions as they are an important part of the learning process.
I have had some horrible jobs so anytime I go flying my internal puppy starts wagging its tail , not as fast as when I see the giggle line on Lingerie .
Share that joy , life is short it should be Fun .
​​​​​​If I have done the training on a student I usually never touch the controls again unless I am demonstrating an exercise .
The exception to that was when I had the privilege of taking a string bag pilot out on an air tour for his birthday. He had not flown since WW2 and I let him do the take off , the cruise and landing . I might have helped lower the flaps and radio , but he made me so happy to see the joy he had on his birthday flying .

​​​​
​​​