PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Technical questions about flying in the US – NOT ‘where should I go’
Old 3rd Dec 2003, 19:13
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technical questions about flying in the US – NOT ‘where should I go’

Technical questions about flying in the US – NOT ‘where should I go’

OK, off to Arizona in February. Searched all the other thread and got my itinerary planned. Also had some help from other Pruners – thanks again Now for a few technical questions:

Fuel. Why do most places in the UK fuel to the tabs and most over there top the tank off completely? Are both correct methods? The CFI at my club doesn’t like the aircraft filled past the tabs, but I suspect it’s a performance thing (short grass runways). There's a hell of a difference betwween 34 and 48 USgal (Pa28).

Fuel again. How do these self-fuelling rigs that many places seem to have work? I assume you just stick your credit card in, dispense fuel (with earth wire attached) and then depart. Is that it? It’d be quite embarrassing to have to be shown by a local, or get in trouble for blowing up the airport

Oil. I’ll be doing about 20 hours away from base. I assume I’ll have to give the engine some oil at some point but I’ve never done that before, being a club renter. So, I buy some oil of the appropriate grade, pour in the correct amount, done. Is that it? On a well maintained 180hp Lycoming, just how much oil burn is normal?

Alert Areas. I could check online for this but… Am I right in thinking that an Alert Area is of lesser relevance than a Restricted or Prohibited area? I can just fly though, but ought to be in contact with the controlling authority? Never came across this one before – I don’t think Florida has any.

Leaning for takeoff at high altitude. I THINK I’m OK with this, and I’ll be having training when I get there, but anyone have any tips so I can appear to know my stuff better? More important perhaps – leaning for landing at, say, a 6000ft field. I’d want max power for a go-around so I wouldn’t want to be fully rich, so how do I know where to set the mixture when the engine’s idle on approach and I’m descending quite rapidly?

FBO’s. It seems normal practice to borrow courtesy cars from FBO’s for short local trips. I assume there’s an insurance issue here for non US residents who don’t have a US motor policy. Anyone ever used such cars? Also, is it normal to tip linemen who fuel the a/c or FBO people who give you rides to hotels/resteraunts etc. and how much? I always feel guilty parking for free, being given a ride to the office, getting free drinks (and even cakes at one place) and not paying!

Thanks to anyone who has time to answer one or more of the above. I’m sure I’ll think of loads more questions before now and Feb.