PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 19 year old firefighter
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 15:20
hueyracer

Originally Posted by Hughes500
so what if she is 19, with not many hours, please tell me how old some military pilots are and their level of experience when they first start ? Lots will be not much older with not many more hours !
If you donīt get the difference, then there is no need in discussing this topic with you, as youīre simply lacking basic knowledge.....sorry.

In the past 25 years in this industry, i have seen hundreds of pilots applying for jobs like the one she seems to have (the article is giving the impression that she is rated as PIC on a Fire Hawk; giving the impression she is flying it in the fires.....).......and i have seen hundreds of them being rejected for either not having time on type, or not having the total experience required....or simply not having an ATPL (why can she be rated PIC on a heavy aircraft only holding a CPL anyway?)

Donīt get me wrong:
I am not saying she canīt be a nice person (i simply donīt know, as i donīt know her)-and i would say exactly the same if this article was about a 19 years old guy getting type rated on a Fire Hawk by Daddy..........

But if i am the only one thinking that it is wrong to send a freshmen CPL with a few hours as PIC on a fire hawk into fire fighting-then it really is about time for me to retire.

Like i said-i have carried enough experienced pilots to their final destination because they screwed up (or because they ran out of luck).
I donīt see any benefit of setting up for failure by allowing pilots without proper experience to do a job that is not a "learning environment"......

Either i am mistaken-and the article was just trying to brag about this pilot; or something really is wrong here...