PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Horrible instructor!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 11:54
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
He was just rushing me by asking me to go straight to apron and shut down.
This is an important theme. Yes, there are times when something must continue to flow (some [faster] is behind you, or something's going really wrong). Other than that, take the time you need to make your checks and complete your configuration changes. There is little rush. If an instructor feels the need to rush you, that should be briefed: "Yeah, there's a jet behind us, so we won't have excess time, I'd like to help you with xyz to keep things moving.". If you heard an unexpected "bang, quiet" even that is not the time for flying hands in the cockpit, that's when mistakes are made and not noticed. A little time for checks then, while configuring for a glide is just fine.

An instructor might have the experience to rush through, while you would like a little more time. Sometimes we more experienced pilots forget that a newer pilot would like a little more time, and the time is there. I have said, and been told: "I'm feeling a little rushed here.". No problem, I'll slow down, and allow the pace to be that of the newer pilot, as was done for me when I asked. If you're flying the plane, and things are normal, take the time you need. If the instructor is in a rush 'cause he needs to pee, he can either tell you (a briefing), or hold it and allow your pace to prevail. A useful element of briefings will be: "are there any questions?". That is your time to be honest, and may just be the pause needed it the rhythm to allow you to catch up!

In any case, the responsibility of an experienced pilot to an lesser experienced pilot is either to mentor positively, or hush up, unless safety is compromised. If you're feeling needlessly put down or rushed, the instructor/mentor pilot got it wrong. Even candidate pilots who are being a little self important can be handled with grace and pace. When they begin to outfly their skills (which the instructor should certainly be noticing), the instructor can ease into the checkride with a new briefing: "I'm about to simulate and engine failure now...", which in and of itself might be enough to remind the candidate that they had flown themselves into a not so good corner. No need to rush, and it might come to be that the candidate notices and corrects, so the simulated failure isn't needed then after all ('cause it might have been a less safe time).