PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF LCC, Erosion of condition, and the FAAA
Old 3rd Dec 2003, 18:42
GalleyHag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progression to short haul for Eastern and Sunstate can NEVER be taken off them, the career progression agreement for these two regionals is very clear (not so sure about Impulse, Airconnex, JetStar or whatever their name is now its all so confusing), however if QF dont employ permanent crew into short haul they just sit at their respective regionals which I think most of these guys are a little worried about.

I wouldnt be making any rash decisions if I was still at Eastern or Sunstate just see how things pan out.

On that note - the outcome of below should be VERY interesting:

MAJOR DISCUSSIONS IMMINENT BETWEEN THE FAAA AND QANTAS REGARDING DISTRIBUTION OF FLYING BETWEEN LONG HAUL AND SHORT HAUL

I wish to advise members that complex negotiations are about to commence in relation to the allocation of flying by Qantas to Long Haul and Short Haul Divisions (i.e. the rules and arrangements that will determine which Division crews different aircraft types).
In 1992 and 1993 an industrial agreement known as the “Divisional Structure Agreement” was reached between the FAAA (both Domestic and International Division) and Qantas. This agreement essentially governed which Division flew the aircraft types in existence at that time i.e. Boeing 747, 737, 767 and Airbus 300 aircraft. However, it did not provide mechanisms to deal with the introduction of new aircraft types and in particular, who would fly new aircraft types.

Cabin Crew would be aware that Qantas is planning the introduction of new aircraft types such as the Airbus variants. As explained in the preceding paragraph there is no agreement between the International Division of the FAAA and Qantas that the Company must crew these new aircraft types with International crew if these aircraft fly internationally. Similarly, there is no requirement on Qantas to crew these new aircraft types with Domestic crew if these aircraft fly domestically.

EBA 6 which was negotiated earlier this year totally failed to address the issue of the new aircraft types even though the EBA negotiating team knew that this was a critical issue.

The FAAA Divisional Executive (the management body of the FAAA) has determined that a negotiating team be established comprising of ****. This team is empowered to negotiate a new Flying Agreement with Qantas and in conjunction with our Short Haul colleagues.

Internal discussions have commenced within the International Division in relation to this critical issue and a meeting will take place on 5 December 2003 with our Short Haul colleagues. My colleagues on the negotiating team and I are absolutely determined to work closely and constructively with our Short Haul colleagues to maximise our bargaining strength and to obtain the very best possible outcome for all Qantas Cabin Crew irrespective of Division.

The time has come for the FAAA to act as one union in the interests of all Qantas Cabin Crew. The year ahead leading to our next EBA is going to be extremely challenging and past differences between both FAAA Divisions have to be set aside, and in fact an effort has to be made to forge a strong and effective relationship between the two Divisions of the FAAA. Together we have 8000 members and an immensely increased bargaining position and we must make the strategic decision to move forward together.

We will keep you advised on a regular basis in relation to the negotiations with the Company on this issue.