PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blind BEA Viscount Captain.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 04:39
ExSp33db1rd

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Elderly female passenger visiting the flight deck at night, asked the Capt. how could he see to know where to go ? Well Madam, he replied, look out of this window and can you see a red light on the end of the wing ? Yes, she confirmed. Now, look out of that other window, can you see a green light ? Yes. Well, I just have to keep steering between them. How clever, she said, I always wondered.

Completing the pre-start checks, the door opened and a female voice said " What winks, whistles, and f8cks like Tiger ?" We turned around to see one of our stewardesses winking and whistling. ( and no, I can't confirm !! )

On an early 707 flight across the USA from LFK to LAX, none of us had flown across the whole country before, and the Capt had brought a Continental road map, and referred to it from time to time to indicate various well known landmarks and cities of interest. A passenger visiting the forward toilet, and with the flight deck door in its usual open position, said " Jeez, don;t you guys know where to go ?"

The Blind Dog incident reminds me. In command MCR/PIK/JFK and during the stop at Prestwick I was walking through the cabin, and a pax asked me if he could possibly check on the status of his dog, accompanying him, but in the rear hold. Maybe he could let him stretch his legs, maybe cock one, and give him a drink and check on the supply of water in his travelling cage ? I explained that he couldn't do that, but maybe I could check the status of the dog for him ? Reaching the back of the aircraft I noticed the baggage loaders stood back, and the rear hold still mostly closed. Don't go near there, they said, there's a dangerous animal loose. I saw a black snout sniffing at a crack in the partly cracked open door, and assuming that it might be passengers dog, I told the loaders that it was only a dog, and promptly opened the door, to be immediately engulfed in the ministrations of a happy Labrador, delighted to be set free and trying to lick me to death. Fearful that it might runaway I clung on to it, and tried to get one of the loaders to come and help me, but eventually had to roll around with the dog whilst I released my belt and fashioned a leash around its neck to help keep hold of it. Eventually order was restored and the happy dog led away. The passenger said he had only made the travelling cage the night before, and hadn't tried it out, but the dog had managed to break out and roam around the hold in flight. Pax. and dog were offloaded.

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 22nd Sep 2020 at 04:58.