PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Horrible instructor!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 03:42
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Complaining on an anonymous forum though is like leaving a bad review online of a business and not giving them the opportunity to correct the perceived issues.
The OP has not identified anyone (and would have been deleted had they), so though a bad review, it applies to the behaviour of an employee, rather than a broad brush of the business. The comments stand on their own to me, and don't really require much context beyond that presented, when discussing them with reference to a 172 checkout. I'm comfortable that we can discuss the experience, and how we feel about the cockpit conduct more as a matter of process and CRM, than a specific instructor's failing.

As a rental pilot, I have personally received similar inadequate service from an instructor at the school. It was a Piper Arrow 3, and I truly thought that the instructor had never flown it, for his lack of understanding of certain systems (landing gear auto extend lockout, for example). I did what I thought was appropriate, based upon the flight manual procedures (which I described to him), locked out the system, took off from a nearly too short for the day runway he'd had me land into, and flew him home. He grumbled a little, and I said: "You can sign me off, and I'll rent the plane, or you can not, and I won't, it is your choice.". He signed me out, and I rented the plane. I hope he went back the the flight manual to familiarize himself with this type. I've had other instructors co fly with me, to the point where I asked who was flying?

On the obverse, today, I was the pilot being familiarized in a turbine helicopter type I have not flown for more than ten years. The instructor briefed me, and we discussed procedures. I invited him to take control whenever he felt he should, as I was not confident on the type, and "take care of" peripheral things with discussion. Our flight went perfectly well, and he only "guarded" the controls when I hovered up to the hangar to land back, nearly apologizing as he did. I reassured him that I was very happy to know that he was close by on the controls. I had never flown with this instructor before, zero tension, lots of mentoring - as it should be.

I feel more confident in the company of a co/mentor pilot who I feel is thinking far enough ahead of what I'm doing, that few things need to be a rush, and at least some discussion is possible before action is taken. When I fly with such pilots, it raises my own standards for being a mentor pilot.