PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Horrible instructor!
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2020, 19:53
RoyHudd

I Have Control

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always dreamt of becoming an airline pilot. And went to the BEA/BOAC training school at Hamble. After initial ground school, I was assigned a horrible instructor. He shouted, he scared me (I was 18), and I gave up after 8 months. My dream never died. After a good first career and a marriage/divorce to a horrible woman (I chose her, and was not assigned), I re-started flight training at age 41. Bingo!
I scored a horrible instructor at Oxford for my CPL/IR. He shouted, yelled and screamed. This time, after many hours on the PA-28 and PA-34, I finally elected to change instructor, with some trepidation. Eurekah! I ended up with a quiet and clever chap, (ex-fast jets btw), and went on to pass, and then make a good living as a professional pilot, flying until 65 on Sheds, F-27's, A320/321's and A330's. I rarely encountered any such horrible people in the subsequent aviation world, perhaps one or two oldies at bmi though. I learnt not to accept a raised voice from a Captain, nor accept over-displayed frustration from any IRE/TRE's.
I remained polite, but firm. And enquired as to what was the problem. Flying is not an easy profession, far from it. And teaching flying is a skill that needs patience and ability. Shouters have no place in flight training. (Should a trainee/colleague be about to endanger yourself/themself/others, a quick and positive "I have control" is what is required from the instructor, with a full de-brief after recovery action and completion of the flight).
Just be reasonable with your instructor, and advise them if they are inhibiting you. And then just try to do your best.