PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2020, 16:04
UnderASouthernSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baltic Skies
Seems like the consensus is Manchester Airport is a car park.with a runway attached.
Fleecing passengers who arrive and are collected by car has been the policy,rather than charge the airlines the appropriate landing charges to make the airport profitable.
Charging a captive market was opportunistic,now that market has evaporated,some reassessment about funding has to be implemented.
If and when air travel starts to increase,I will be very selective which airports i give my custom to.
As stated in previous posts,it's not the £3 here and there,it makes no difference,it's the principle and the feeling that I am being ripped off.
As a rule, most airlines - particularly locos - won't pay "appropriate landing charges" at an airport if they have an alternative that they can threaten/will move their flights to. e.g. LPL, LBA,DSA,BHX in the case of MAN and say they would be charged less there (whether that's an idle threat or not). They want to pay nothing, or be paid to fly at airports that don't have the draw of a capital city.
Any airline who does agree to pay "appropriate" landing charges at MAN or another airport will be passing those charges onto the passengers anyway via their ticket cost, I would argue.

Didn't MAN, at the time of the drop off charging going in, suggest that some/all of the excess was going towards a local transport fund? Or am I dreaming?